10 Great Reasons to Do Yoga in Your School
- Non-competitive sport that everyone can excel at
- Equally liked by boys and girls (boys love it because all the athletes are doing it, girls love it because they are good at it)
- Develops core strength
- Encourages flexibility which we loose so fast as we age (most grade 7s can’t sit comfortably cross-legged anymore)
- Empowers students to self-regulate emotions
- Teaches coping skills for managing stress
- Cross-training opportunities for athletes
- Teaches students it’s OK to tune out all the stimulation around them
- Gives them space to just be in the moment
- An activity for a life time – they will continue long after high school
Yoga provides a non-competitive activity that is accessible for all ages from preschool through high school. Flourish yoga teachers are all YogaKids Certified plus receive active coaching from Krista Strayer (Canadian Lead Trainer for YogaKids International) to ensure professional classes that will engage and empower your students.
For the younger ages we will use other props as necessary to keep the kids engaged.
For middle school through high school classes. Other props may be used and will be provided such as blocks and straps to assist with flexibility.
Yoga is not a religion. Yoga means union or connection. It helps us to connect with ourselves and the world around us. Yoga originated in India and traces its roots back 5000 years to the ancient Vedic civilization who pre-dated the Hindu religion formed in India. The roots of yoga were formed in India and have been enriched by the colourful folklore however the beliefs of yoga transcend many cultures and spiritual beliefs.
We take great care in ensuring that our yoga classes within the schools do not contain any elements, poses or language that would be offensive or controversial. Our goal is to bring the benefits of movement, breath and awareness to all students.
We are happy to discuss this individually with parents and they are always welcome to come and watch or participate in the classes to make sure we are not inadvertently teaching messages that are not universal.
Yoga Alliance Certified with an E-RYT 200 Designation
- Experienced Registered Yoga Teacher with over 1000 hours of experience in teaching yoga
- specialty in teaching Children’s Yoga – 95 hour+ Kids and Youth teaching training.
St John’s Ambulance Standard First Aid with CPR
Additional provisions to meeting the requirements of both the Calgary Board of Education and the Calgary Catholic School District
- Calgary Police Service Vulnerable Sector Search completed every 2 years
- $2 Million Liability Insurance
- WCB Coverage
- copies of documents are available upon request