“The heart that gives thanks is a happy one, for we cannot feel thankful and unhappy at the same time. The more we say thanks, the more we find to be thankful for. And the more we find to be thankful for the happier we become.” - Douglas Wood
The Secret of Saying Thanks is a wonderful book for reading and yoga with many ages. It’s not just for Thanksgiving, it works well for the theme of gratitude throughout the year.
Each page in the book is a beautifully illustrated verse. Each verse centers around a nature inspired yoga pose.
Last Thanksgiving our youth class had a lot of fun making a movie out of this book. Each child had a verse to read, a part to play together that they brainstormed themselves and some even helped with the technology to put it all together.
As you can see our youth class had a lot of fun and got really creative with this Thanksgiving project. Check out our video on YouTube.
Here is our interpretation of;
1. Thank you sun for the gift of a new day, for all its choices and challenges, for all the beauty it brings. (Reach for the Sun or Sun Shape)
2. Thank you flowers for the bright and graceful blossoms, the sweetness of its breath and reminding you to smile. (Lotus or Group Flower)
3. Thank you trees for cool shade on a hot day, forests to explore, leaves that sing in the breeze, and roots that hold the earth in place. (Tree)
4. Thank you rock and stone for your silence and patience, for standing still and not changing in world filled with noise and speed and change. (Rock)
5. Thank you birds for the gentle music of the skies, for bright feathers and graceful creatures who dance upon the wind. (Any Bird Pose…stork, eagle, flamingo, crow, pigeon)
6. Thank you all the creatures who swim and crawl and creep, burrow run and climb that save us from loneliness on our small blue planet. (Favourite Animal Pose….dog, cat, horse, penguin…)
7. Thank you stars that twinkle far away with just enough light to dream on. Thank you moon for lighting the sky and night, and helping us to find our way in the dark.(Star– Moon)
8. Thank you water that make the magic of life possible. For sweet drinks, for cool swims and reflecting sunsets, and for the gift of life itself. (River or Waves, Lemon Toes, Swimming, Sunrise / Sunset)
9. Thank you for home and family, for good food and the good earth that gave it, for people to prepare it and family to share it. (Table)
10. Thank you for sun and moon and stars, and rocks and trees, and flowers and waters, and birds and animals, and all those who love you, and the love you feel for them.
11. The heart that gives thanks is a happy one, for we cannot feel thankful and unhappy at the same time. The more we say thanks, the more we find to be thankful for. And the more we find to be thankful for the happier we become. (Gratitude Dance, Your Own Happy Dance)
12. We don’t give thanks because we’re happy. We are happy because we give thanks.” (Namaste)
Get the cheatsheet of poses to use with your students...
Now its your turn:
Share your Thanksgiving and gratitude ideas below and inspire us all.